Sunday, January 6, 2013

Best Ever Shepherd's Pie

I love making a shepherds pie using lentils.
This has got to be the most tasty version that I've ever made yet!


Peel 3 large potatoes and place in a pot with water. Bring to the boil & simmer til very tender. Mash with plant milk of choice.

To prepare the lentil base-
Combine in a frying pan:
1 drained tin lentils
1/2 chopped red capsicum
1 small brown onion
4 cubes frozen spinach
6 chopped button mushrooms

Saute until the spinach has completely defrosted & the other vegetables are warmed through.

In a small measuring jug combine 1 Tablespoon cornflour with a quarter cup of cold water. Stir until cornflour is dissolved. 
Pour over the lentil mixture and stir well. Stir in 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce. Add 1 teaspoon dried oregano and 1 teaspoon sage.
Mix in well amongst the vegetables. The mixture will thicken as it warms.


Place the lentil mixture down the bottom of a baking tray and press in gently.
Top with the potatoes and bake at 200C for 30 minutes until lightly golden brown on top.
 Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten Shepherds Pie in a long, long while. I think I was traumatised by my experience of it as a kid when my mum used to make it with meat. The only way I could get it down was to keep disappearing to the kitchen and drinking lots of water! Maybe it's time to try again, this time with a yummy vegan recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say I never really enjoyed it as a meat version either! I LOVE this version - def give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :-)

      Delete