Monday, January 7, 2013

Dragon Fruit

Last week I tried Dragon Fruit for the first time!

Although commonly called dragon fruit, its proper name is pitaya. Its the fruit of a type of cactus called Hylocereus. They contain vitamin C, calcium & fibre.

I was quite surprised when I cut into the dragon fruit to find that the flesh was red!
I had never seen red flesh in pictures before - only white. To be quite honest, I did wonder if it wasn't ripe yet or something?!?!? Then upon further investigation I discovered that its just another variety of dragon fruit. There is also yellow skinned dragon fruit available!

I spooned out the soft flesh (the skin is not edible) and was expecting a massive flavour hit to accompany the amazing vibrant colour...... and yet found it to be very plain to taste. It was quite a delicate taste and only mildly sweet. The texture is quite smooth and the seeds were not disturbing at all, quite small and a bit crunchy like the black seeds found in kiwis.

I didn't really enjoy eating it plain so I decided to turn it into a smoothie.
It made an amazing colour that any little girl would surely love to have at a princess party ;-)
I added a frozen banana, frozen strawberry pieces & soymilk.
Delicious.

Question of the day:

Have you tried any exotic fruit lately?
Have you tried dragon fruit? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. Apparently organic dragon fruit tastes better? I haven't tried it thought so I'm not quite sure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some growing in my garden :) Red dragon fruit and yellow pitaya. I can't wait to get some fruit off them!

    ReplyDelete