Sunday, September 16, 2012

Mushroom sauce on beans, greens, grains

This evening's dinner on the 21 day kickstart meal plan was DIY Beans, Greens, Grain.
I love experimenting on the DIY days.
I have never cooked millet before so decided that would be my experiment. 
It is so tasty & incredibly filling too. I will make this a regular now for sure! :-)

Here's what I made:

My choice of bean, green & grain is here:


What I did:

Place 1 cup millet in a pot & pour over 3 cups vegetables stock. Bring to the boil & simmer for 20-25 minutes until all moisture is absorbed and millet has 'puffed up'. It will look similar to couscous in texture.

For the zucchini bean mixture I sliced the zucchini & sauteed in a frying pan with a teaspoon of cumin and a crack of black pepper. Add beans & saute until zucchini is soft & beans are warmed through. If the mixture begins to stick you can add a little water. 

For the mushroom sauce:
Chop 10 button mushrooms and one small onion very finely.
Saute until the mushrooms and onion are cooked through.

Transfer to a pot (you can saute them in the pot if you want to) and add a Tablespoon of soy sauce and some cracked black pepper. 

In a mixing bowl combine 1 Tablespoon cornflour & 1 cup cold water. Stir until cornflour is completely dissolved.
Pour the cornflour mixture into the pot with the mushrooms & simmer for approx 10 minutes until hot and the sauce thickens.


Combine the millet and zucchini-bean mix on a plate or bowl & pour the mushroom sauce over the top.


1 comment: