Monday, September 3, 2018

Vegan Mofo Day 3 Person Inspired - Chocolate Pear Bake


Following along the list of themes and prompts for vegan mofo.....

                 Today's inspiration is bought to you by a person!

I had to think about this one as I don't know that I am hugely inspired by other people as I do quite like to be my own person but then this idea came to mind! 
Now I must say that this recipe has been sitting in my 'drafts' since June 2015!!!! (OPPS! Just goes to show my lack of blogging lately!)
It's original inspiration came from Nigella Lawson! I used to LOVE watching her cooking shows and I recall one time her commenting how well pear and chocolate go together. I have to admit that I've never actually tried any of her recipes, nor do I recall the recipe she made to make that comment!! But I did keep in mind this flavour combo and started to experiment with this combo of flavours, and yes, I can say that indeed pears & chocolate do go incredibly well together!!!

Here's my take on a delicious, yet healthier version of pears and chocolate combined!
Using overripe pears in this recipe means you can use far less sugar than in traditional baked desserts as they are naturally more sweet. If you don't have overripe ones, that's fine too, under-ripe ones will work quite well and will soften as the dish is baked. This is a great way to use up any spare pears you may have if you've stocked up when they're on super special (speaking from experience)!! 

CHOCOLATE PEAR BAKE
(Makes 1 cake that serves 6-8)
                  
                    You'll need:

                   3 overripe pears
                   1 cup wholemeal flour
                   1 teaspoon baking powder
                   2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
                   1/4 cup cocoa powder
                   1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
                   1 teaspoon vanilla
                   1 cup motherless milk of choice

Slice the pears into thin pieces and remove any of the core. Layer in a 24cm pie dish with the large side out and the small ends meeting in the middle as shown below. 

In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. Mix together til just combined using a whisk. Do not over stir as the mixture will then become too chewy as it bakes. Pour the batter over the pears.

Place dish in a preheated 180°C oven and bake for 40 minutes.  
 Slice and serve.
I find using a glass pie dish that it doesn't stick and can be served easily enough, however if using a ceramic or other dish, I would recommend lining it first with non-stick paper. 


If you wish to try a completely sugar-free version I reckon you could substitute the coconut sugar for 1/4 cup of date spread without it hugely affecting the way this bake turns out. 
I haven't tried it in this exact recipe but with my largely sugar free home these days that is what I would try! If you do give this version a shot - be sure to let me know what you think :-) 


2 comments: