Friday, March 22, 2013

Potato and kale stew

I love a meal that is easy to prepare but also very satisfying. 
I must admit that I don't mind a bit of chopping and stirring - that is my idea of relaxed cooking. This stew is exactly that! :-)

You'll need:
4 potatoes

half bunch of kale (approx 5-6 stems)
1 zucchini
1 can butter beans
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon stock powder
3 cups water
1/4 cup tomato paste


Chop the potatoes into rough 1-2cm cubes - no need to peel them though I do recommend giving them a brush first!
Chop the zucchini into slices.
Remove the leaves from the kale stems. 
Drain the butter beans.
Place all these ingredients into a large stock pot.
Crush the garlic over the veggies, add the stock powder and pour the water over the top. You may need more water depending on the pot size - you need enough to just cover the vegetables but not drown them. 
Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and leave to simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
Stir in the tomato paste and serve. 
You may want to add some fresh herbs to serve :-) I recommend parsley.



This is my contribution to Healthy Vegan Friday for the week.
You can add your recipe at these blogs:
carrie on vegan                    veggie nook                    greenthickies  

4 comments:

  1. This is a great way to use kale - and not one I've done before :) I need new ways to use potatoes because they're one of the few vegetables Mr B actually likes, so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like our husbands could be very similar in taste to each other!!!
      I really enjoy having Kale stewed down quite a lot :-)

      Delete
  2. I can imagine this with crusty bread soaking up the juices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmm yes that would be lovely! In fact my hubbie used a slice of bread to soak up most juicy dishes I make!!!

      Delete