Saturday, March 16, 2013

Meat Free Week

Next Monday marks the start of Meat Free Week.
It runs from Monday 18th March -Sunday 24th March.
Its a fundraising event to raise awareness about factory farming and excessive meat consumption.

There are many ways to get involved. You could just join the challenge by agreeing not to eat any kind of meat for the duration of the week. You can sponsor someone who has signed up. You can buy t-shirts to show your support for the event. 

There is even a link for people who are already vego showing ways that you can help the event too - perhaps cooking a veg meal for someone, holding a fundraiser evening or organising a meal out at a veg restaurant!

I think its a great encouragement to help people stop and think about the amount of meat they are eating and where it comes from. Australians are one of the biggest meat consuming countries in the world. We eat 190,000 tonnes of meat each year. That's an average consumption of 120kg per person each year - and that means many people are consuming a lot more than that since our household accounts for none ;-)

Research is continually showing that eating more plant-based meals is much better for our overall health. Not to mention the huge cost to our environment that raising animals for consumption is having! And of course, lets not forget the animals involved - they are living creatures with thoughts and feelings too! Just like you and me..... anyone who has pets knows that animals have feelings too! 

Want some recipe ideas??? Here's some of my recipes that I have found are loved by vego's and non-vego's alike:

Dinners:

Lunches:
Breakfasts:
Snacks:

You can also check out the recipes provided on the meat free week page. They all look delicious if you ask me! 
"any change, no matter how small, is better than no change at all"

You can read about my journey here --> my vegan story.


Are you going to join in meat free week?
How do you intend to get involved? 

6 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool! I didn't know it was meat-free week next week. For those of us who are Greek (or Russian) Orthodox, it's the first week of Lent- which is also meat-free. What great timing : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is awesome how its has worked out at the same time!!!

      Delete
  2. I love these meat-free initiatives :D I think we have a 'National Vegetarian Week' coming up soon in the UK in May, and I'll definitely get involved.
    All your recipes on this page sound very tasty indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when communities join in celebrating and promoting a meat free time! Such a wonderful idea! Gets people thinking :-)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know this was happening! Thanks for drawing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome! :-) You have definitely opened my eyes to few things - its nice to return the favour for once!!!! lol

      Delete