Thursday, September 4, 2014

Vegan Mofo - Neal Barnard



Next in line for review is my collection of books from Neal Barnard.


I must admit that I am also in love with all things Neal Barnard. I had the book "Turn off the Fat Genes" sitting in my bookshelf at the time that I read Skinny Bitch & it was only that it was mentioned in the book that a light-bulb went off as I remembered having it and I then picked it up to read it also.

Neal Barnard comes from a more 'health' side of veganism, not just being vegan for the sake of animals. 
He encourages following a low fat vegan style of eating and explains in details links between various diseases in society that are seen as "normal" as we age, but are in fact dietary related. 

These books are easy to read & yet so very full of information.
They all have FANTASTIC recipe sections in the later part of the books - and not just a few recipes, HEAPS of recipes! I think it's fair to say that the books are about 2/3s info, 1/3 recipes. 
I have cooked many many meals from all these books & there are only a very few that I have come across that I haven't totally LOVED.
These have often been my fall-back recipes when I need to make a bunch of salads to take to events. 
I make this "Couscous Confetti Salad" below for EVERY occasion we host and each time I am asked for the recipe! It is loved by omni's and vego's alike! I may have to say that it's my favourite recipe in the book "Turn off the Fat Genes".
You can access the recipe online here.



I recently enjoyed the "Curried Chickpea Spread" from "The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook."



This is one of the books that I got and had every hope of cooking all the way through from beginning to end and I must say that I have tried about 70% of the recipes in this book! This was the first time I had tried this spread so I was quite pleased to be able to tick it off my list ;-)
Delicious! I even went to the effort of roasting a single onion to use in the recipe! Usually I'm lazy when recipes require effort like that and I would just dry-fry it instead!


I also must speak very highly of his book "Program for Reversing Diabetes". 


I have had the privilege of helping two people use this program (based on a low fat vegan diet) to reverse their T2 diabetes. It is so wonderful watching people heal themselves with food. If you, or someone you know has diabetes then I definitely recommend getting this book.
To see if this is the type of program that could be of interest to someone you know you can view a summary here on youtube.   


Neal Barnard is the president of an organisation called "The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" (PCRM). They encourage preventative medicine using the method of "The Power Plate". Their website in full of wonderful resources and publications you can download and print. They also have great information regarding children and feeding them healthfully. I highly encourage you to check it out here. You'll also find links to other websites run by them including NutritionMD where you'll find many delicious recipes like the ones shown above. If you're tempted to try a vegan diet but don't know where to start, I encourage you to try their 21 day vegan kickstart program. I have often followed this program in the past when I want to get my eating back on track or want my meals planned out for me. All the recipes are super easy, super delicious and use easy-to-find food items.
Give it a try! 

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Dr. Barnard is one of my favorites, too. I have all of his books and most of his DVDs. I love PCRM, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! Always love to hear of other fans too! :-) He's just so encouraging to listen to hey!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Neal Barnard - sounds like his books would be interesting - well they must be if you are willing to buy all these. And I am not sure I have any cookbooks that I can claim to have cooked my way through 70% of the recipes. Will look out for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes they are fantastic books & easy to read too which always helps. Love the recipes - can't speak highly enough about them :-)

      Delete
  3. It's wonderful to hear that you've been able to use Barnard's program to help people reverse their T2 diabetes. Now that's truly a life changer.
    I have huge respect for Barnard and his work. I haven't tried any of his recipes yet but from your pics & review, they sound amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the recipes in his books are all on the website links I've provided. Def worth checking them out.
      I'm so so so grateful for his work! :-) What a marvellous doctor, the world needs more like him!

      Delete