Monday, March 24, 2014

Why I WON'T be posting a naked selfie

I don't know about where you live, but currently in Australia, the latest 'fad' to show up in your facebook news feed is the "naked selfie".
Now, no I don't mean naked as in no clothes, naked as in no make-up!


This is supposed to raise "awareness" for breast cancer and the idea behind it was that if you posted a naked selfie then you would donate a dollar for each 'like' you received.


I wanted to express my feelings about this on my blog and people can choose to read this or not read it as they desire!

There are several reasons why I won't be taking part in this selfie movement:

1/ It seems to me that our society is perfectly 'aware' of breast cancer already! Is awareness about this illness really what is needed???
Perhaps what is truly needed is an 'awareness' that this illness is not only preventable but in most cases also reversible through a whole food plant-based diet!
Why aren't people hearing this???
Is it because they don't want to truly know? Is it because people hope for a magic 'pill' because it's not convenient for them to consume health bringing food?
I don't know all the answers - all I know is that it saddens me that this message isn't getting through to society. 
I wonder how many women have lost their lives too early, when had they received the proper information they could have spend many more family Christmas' together. They could have removed this illness from their life and bought health & healing to other's in their family too.
Why are our doctors not knowing there are options that are far more effective than the medical treatments that are still used knowing that they do not really help these diseases at all?

I can't imagine the heart break that it would be to loose someone to an illness like this. I wonder how many would be willing to change the way they ate if they knew it could give them hope!
They should at least be given the correct information to have the right to choose!
I feel so SAD that this women aren't told what can help them. Many of them won't know of their own accord and they are left in the hands of doctors who aren't at all trained in nutrition and it's powerful affect on illness.

In my own plant-based journey I have had the wonderful privilege of knowing two woman who have actually chosen to NOT go through with traditional medical procedures and chosen to use a plant-based diet to treat their cancer. Both of them are still alive and completely cancer free after 7-9 years. 
NO MEDICAL TREATMENT! Purely treated with the power of a plant-based diet!


2/ I doubt there are too many people who are truly posting with the intention of donating money. And I don't intend to donate money for each 'like' that I may receive. It seems to have become more about getting positive comments about looking beautiful even without make-up or the people who post about how nervous they are due to acne or scars then receive bountiful comments on being 'brave' etc.
I personally don't believe that too many of these cancer organisations spend their funds wisely either. They are no closer to offering a 'cure' than they were twenty/thirty years ago. I am someone who finds it both disappointing and frustrating when to give a one-off donation I then find myself constantly on the 'mailing list' and get so many follow up letters with pages and pages of colorfully printed 'advertisements'. Surely the funds that have been donated could be put to better use! But that is my opinion and I appreciate that others may feel differently about those mail outs and these organisations.



3/ As a Christian, I don't believe it is helpful to fear illness!
Yes, there will always be sickness on this earth. We live in a fallen world and it won't be right until Jesus returns.
So far the death rate is 100% ;-)
And yet many of us still fear death. Yet as Christians we have a hope that is beyond the grave. 

Romans 8:38-39 
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So, a life that comes into contact with illness does not have to be a life that is not valued or won't be wonderful! We aren't left alone in any of our struggles through life when we have Jesus on our side.




If you would like to find out more about a plant-based diet specifically relating to breast cancer you may find the following links helpful:

Nutrition Facts

The China Study

Dr McDougall 

Disease Proof 

Want to see some youtube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhhCdrYcqf4 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MNty1Gk3Q 



Please note:
I have not written this with an intent to offend anybody. I understand that this can be a 'touchy' subject for many people. I have people very dear to me who have been affected by breast cancer. This is a devastating illness and it hurts families so much. Please understand that I have not written this to criticise those who have lost dear ones to cancer (or any other illness), nor to be 'blaming' those struggling with the illness. I have written this with the genuine HOPE that it could help someone! That the links above may bring some new insight that they have not otherwise heard about! 

So start clicking my friends, and share this information with others ;-)
Women NEED to hear the truth & be given the option to help themselves!


12 comments:

  1. AMEN !!! Well said, Sandy !!!! - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking as I have seen countless acquaintances on Facebook popping up with no make-up pictures! I have been resisting the urge to take a picture of some mushrooms call it my "breast cancer awareness no-makeup face", as studies have shown that a measly one mushroom a day can reduce breast cancer risk by 30-60%. I wish people would understand that our lifestyles and what we are putting into our bodies are what is causing this epidemic of breast cancer. Thanks for being brave enough to say the things a lot of us plant-based whole-foodies are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes!!!!!!!!! Sooooo glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way! :-)

      Delete
  3. I find it baffling that all the money raised is spent on trying to find a cure rather than prevention. It sure is a crazy world we live in :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The money side of it is quite peculiar! It's often said that cancer is now a revenue raiser, how terribly sad that it's come to that :-(

      Delete
  4. Great post! I'm so sick of "awareness" campaigns, when they're neglecting treatments that are proven effective. I'm especially sickened by those that are used as an excuse for being vu1gar - like our local l1nger1e display that is supposed to somehow "increase awareness" of women's illnesses : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY!!!! A lingerie display - So sad :-(
      Thanks for your support and also being on the truly aware side!

      Delete
  5. While trolling through your blog for some meal ideas, I saw this ;)
    I completely agree with you on this. During "Breast Cancer Awareness Month" here in the U.S., I find it very hypocritical of some of these companies to "pinkwash" in order to make money from this tragic illness e.g. Estee Lauder. So while we don't know every cause of cancer, we do know that what goes on/in our body has an impact. Hopefully the focus will shift to prevention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is so sad that an illness has become a money maker :-(
      I look forward to the day when society accepts and believes that these diseases are preventable! xxx

      Delete
  6. It's always nice to run into fellow Christians during my virtual travels. Cancer is big business, talking about the simple things that can prevent cancer isn't helping the industry at all, is it? Also, there are still people that don't realize they have more control of their health than they think or are willing to accept and for me that is truly sad.

    The more people are aware of how much power they have over their health simply by making positive changes physically, mentally and spiritually the better off we as a society will become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that other Christians are reading my blog too, so thanks for stopping by :-)
      Yes it seems that between cancer being a money maker & doctors with little knowledge or preventative measures & people who plain and simply don't want to hear the truth that our world seems to not take too many steps forward in this area!

      Delete