Saturday, August 10, 2013

In My Kitchen - August Alternatives

Welcome to another month of In My Kitchen!
Link your kitchen up on the Fig jam and lime cordial blog.

I'm very excited about this new cookbook that I purchased recently....
I'm yet to cook any recipes from it though! But it all looks super tasty. I love the pictures - there's something about flicking through a recipe book with pictures that soothes the soul - even if you never actually cook anything from it ;-)

It got me thinking about the actual "study" that took place when writing "The China Study". I wondered about how they crossed the language barrier going into rural villages.
 
As a veg*n it can sometimes feel like we have a language barrier when trying to dine out! It's often believed that we eat 'fish' or that frying things in butter is ok!
Yep - us veg*n's speak a different language.

Let me provide you with some insight..... 
and hopefully a few laughs ;-)

It's never actually cut 'steak' before!

Don't be fooled by the shape of this counting device.... It's never actually timed an egg ;-)

Although this masher is useful for potato, it's more frequently used to mash beans!

I'm sure by now you won't be surprised when I inform you that this 'cup' has never held an egg - its very handy for an afternoon nibble of dried fruit & nuts though.... if you want to make your nibbles portable try these butterfly snacks.

No prizes for guessing what this scoop has never actually scooped ;-)
Very handy for making equal size muffins and cookies.

Stay tuned for a great recipe that will mean you never miss eggs on toast again!

Lots of yummy burgers have been made using this press - no "hamburgers" though!

Great for crushing nuts to add to recipes!

This cutter has actually made its way through many pizzas, no cheese though. Its works amazingly well for cutting up dehydrator cookies (recipe coming soon)!



Do you have alternative names for your kitchen gadgets?
What's new in your kitchen this month?

18 comments:

  1. That's really funny! I never thought about naming my kitchen gadgets, maybe I will :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad it gave you a chuckle! Let me know if you come up with any fun names!!!!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I didn't know they'd brought out a cookbook follow-up to The China Study. You'll have to let us know how you find it! I like your collection of gadgets too and am intrigued as to what you use the rings with tofu for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been out for a few months now - I was soooo excited when it was released!!!
      Nearly got the recipe right - just been adjusting bits and pieces.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! Renaming and reusing, that's what it's all about! Some lovely pieces you have there, Sandy, especially that very cute dried fruit cow cup! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia! As always, thanks for hosting :-)

      Delete
  4. Love the nut and fruit holder!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the china study - I'll have to keep an eye out for the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so fantastic! Hope you can find it!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the education and humor! The only object I've re-named in my kitchen is my spatula. I call it Spatula Clark, after the 60's pop singer, Petula Clark. Her music makes me smile and I can't help smiling in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad to hear that someone else has renamed a kitchen item! ;-)

      Delete
  7. G'day Sandy! Love the muffin scoop, true!
    Thanks for letting me visit your kitchen with a unique view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear of another muffin scooper out there! ;-)

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post - I love to hear what you use these for - ironically I still call my utensils eggflips even though they never flip eggs. But I do love vegie words for meat substitutes (not utensils) - facon, tricken and shamburgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - yeah those meat substitute words always give me a little laugh too! :-)

      Delete