Thursday, August 15, 2013

Easy DIY Cereal

Cereal's these days container many additives, and that's not even the cereal that people KNOW is bad for them!
Here's a great alternative to store-bought cereal. Yes I've used some sweetener - that way it's enjoyable, but with much less sugar than other cereals!
Its really tasty and easy to make.
You'll need:
4 cups rolled oats

1 cup coconut
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup golden syrup

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. 
Spread onto lined baking trays (I used two).
Bake at 160C for 40 minutes stirring every ten minutes.
This doesn't end up as crunchy as granola and its not as moist.
It is definitely more like a 'cereal'.


Of course, you could always make this cereal without baking it - just omit the apple sauce and golden syrup. It just won't have quite the same flavour.

9 comments:

  1. Very similar to my recipe - however I use honey instead of golden syrup (but that would be yum) and I use cashews (from Aldi as they are cheapest) instead of peanuts. This is so much cheaper than bought cereal and the sugar content is MUCH better. As soon as summer arrives I will be back eating my homemade cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear of another cereal maker! I love cashews so I'm sure that would be very tasty too :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your use of apple sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Num num num I've so got to get making cereal! This is another one on my to try list, thanks Sandy xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having so much fun making cereal lately - you should def give it a try! :-)

      Delete
  4. Yum that looks really good! I love making homemade granola but find it so easy to over eat! It's just too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe that is very true! I agree that homemade granola is super tasty!

      Delete