Saturday, December 29, 2012

After Christmas come down...... 2012 - A Year in Review!

I LOVE this poem! It always gives me a little chuckle when I read it!
 
     ‘Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
     Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
     The cookies I’d nibbled, the eggnog I’d taste
     All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
     When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
     When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).

     I’d remember the marvelous meals I’d prepared;
     The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
     The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
     And the way I’d never said, “No thank you, please.”
     As I dressed myself in my husband’s old shirt
     And prepared once again to do battle with dirt–
     I said to myself, as I only can
     “You can’t spend a winter disguised as a man!”

     So, away with the last of the sour cream dip,
     Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip
     Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
     ‘Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
     I won’t have a cookie, not even a lick.
     I’ll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

     I won’t have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
     I’ll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
     I’m hungry, I’m lonesome, and life is a bore—
     But isn’t that what January is for?
     Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
     Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!


Do you make New Year's Resolutions?


If you've been following my blog but aren't vegan - maybe you'd like to consider making a vegan resolution!
The PCRM - Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, have set up this new website to help people make the transition. It has many helpful tools including recipes, started kits, health information, programs to follow, even inspiration from others who have made a resolution! 
Check it out here -  http://veganresolution.org/

And of course if you want any help along the way - feel free to ask me anything you want :-)

I usually don't make an official resolution - but I do often take the time to reflect on the year that's been & decided if there is anything that I want to change for the coming year.
For next year I have decided to try & not let life get me down so much. I do think that I am the kind of person who views things in a way that seems to have such a negative twist on ~everything~ and its really hard for me to stop my mind from over-thinking things. This coming year I am going to aim to be a more positive person. A more positive wife & a more positive mother in particular!

I guess that leads me to the question.....

Is it possible to re-train our way of thinking???


I'll give you an example from my kitty!!! Not really....but I just love these pictures ;-)


So if you're like me.... let's try and aim to see the positive in situations in the coming year!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE 
xxx Sandy



2012 - A Year in Review -->
Here's my 12 favourite recipes from 2012:
 

Lentil loaf - I think I've lost count of the amount of times I've made this recipe now! 

 


Pina-colada doughnuts - these have become a favourite in our household (and in our neighbours too!).
 
 
Tofu bacon  - this is now one of my favourite fall backs. It has so many uses - a great salad topper, sandwich filler or heck - just eat it by itself cause its so tasty ;-)

 

Winter curry and couscous - I think I can still smell the amazing aroma that this dish fills the house with!!!



Asian lunch salad - because we all to have a favourite salad! 
 


Strawberry mousse - I didn't think I could ever love a dessert as much as this life-is-good dessert until I came up with this mousse!


 


Tex-mex pizza  - we all need a favourtie pizza topping!
  
        Spiced lentil burgers - I love a good veggie                          burger, this one is so easy & so delicious.

 
Fruity yum cookies  - these were sooooo tasty I couldn't not include them. 




Cheezey brown rice with green beans - something a bit different yet amazingly tasty.

 

Mashed sweet potato with mexican spiced black beans  - all the amazing flavours of a mexican restaurant in your own home.
 


 Cranberry apple joy - can't forget a drink in this collection. This one is so satisfying!
 

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the very best for the new year.

    I made my first lentil loaf on Christmas Day ( for my son) and I was surprised at how new it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! Happy New Year to you too :-)
      Yay I'm glad you enjoyed the lentil loaf!!!!

      Delete
  2. Love that poem!!! It really made me chuckle.
    I wish you all the best for 2013 and your New Year resolutions.
    In answer to your question, without a shadow of a doubt you can retrain your way of thinking. Buddhist meditation is a great way to do this. I've been practising Buddhism for about 5 years now and it's had a hugely positive effect on my mental well-being. I found meditation so powerful & rewarding that I now run two children's workshops each week. I wish I'd learnt how to meditate as a kid as it would have really helped me deal with exams and the pressures of growing up.
    We often get into habits of thinking in certain ways but with a little bit of effort we can definitely retrain our thought patterns. In Buddhism, there are no problems, just 'challenges' and 'opportunities' ;) There are no worries as we train to live in the moment rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. See, it all depends on the spin you put on things ;) Good luck! xx

    ReplyDelete