Monday, November 12, 2012

Kitchen Experiments

I have been doing more home cooking this past week. Here's some of the adventures that I had in my kitchen!



First time using the cooker pressure that I picked up "on special" ~woo-hoo~ just a few weeks ago. Beans in 15 minutes - definitely a winner!!!
Perfect beans - not mushy and fallen apart! I find that although the slow cooker is a great way to cook beans they often lose their shape. Very pleased with the result from the pressure cooker! And seriously.... 15 minutes!!!!!!!!



Sprouting




Whilst hunting in our Christmas storage to get some wrapping paper out, I couldn't resist getting this magnet out too! I'm not a fan of magnets on the fridge because I find they scratch the surface and make the fridge look older sooner..... but these are my only two exceptions to the rule!!!



Fresh batch of soymilk from my soymilk maker being turned into tofu.
After adding the coagulant the soymilk turns into a 'curds and whey'.
Scoop out the solids and put into a tofu press lined with cheescloth.
Gently press out the water and add a weight to set the tofu.




Just 10 minutes later - perfectly set tofu!
Super fresh and super tasty!
I was so impressed!
This is the first time I've ever made tofu from scratch and I will definitely be doing this again!



Next in line on the cooking list was a home-made pizza base.
This recipe is using chickpea flour, also known as besan flour.

Add 1 1/2 cups of chickpea flour, teaspoon mixed herbs, 7g yeast, and 1/2 cup warm water. Let sit for 1/2 hour.
The yeast makes the dough raise. 
Spread dough out in the shape of a pizza. 
I found the dough was still quite sticky and didn't hold its 'raise'. It was quite tricky to spread it also. But I got there in the end.
Bake for 15 minutes - could of done with slightly less time in the oven!


Making 'cheeze sauce' for the pizza. 
Mix 1/4 cup nutritional yeast with 1 tablespoon cornflour and 3/4 cup soymilk. Microwave for 1 minutes until the mixture thickens. Pour over your pizza and bake as usual.



Mmmmmmm vegan pizza!
The base held together well even with all the toppings on it! It was a little dry but still quite tasty.

Putting my new FOK cookbook to use baking banana bread!
Really delicious, super moist and surprisingly sweet despite having no sugar!




The only problem with so much cooking is all the washing up that it makes!!!! Washing up is my least favourite household chore!

But with delicious food like this..... it's oh so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment