Monday, February 17, 2014

Meatless Monday - Raisins

Welcome to another edition of Meatless Monday!
Today we're cooking with raisins.
I resisted the urge to do yet another cookie - as much as I love raisins in cookies I decided to get a bit more adventurous than that!
You see, all this hot weather reminds me of the need for ice-cream! And well, obviously there isn't much range in a regular ice-cream store that appeals to me. So when I need that creamy rum and raisin flavour that I'm so fond of, this does the trick instead! Afterall, I'm not really a big ice-cream eater!

So, today I bring you:

Rum & Raisin Rice Porridge

To serve one you'll need:

1 cup pre-cooked brown rice
3/4 cup plant milk (or half water, depending how creamy you like it)
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon rum essence (or vanilla essence)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until heated through.
Using a stick blender, blend til porridge is desired consistency.
Serve :-)

Option: Make a big batch and store leftovers in the fridge if you'd rather this cold. 

Question of the day?
Is there any particular flavour combo that you enjoy..... but eat it in a different way than how it is usually prepared?


  1. Oh yeah! Great recipe and post! Lovely photos, too! YUMMO!

  2. Oh I'm so glad you went with porridge, yummy!!!

  3. what a fun porridge to eat - I much prefer porridge to ice cream too

    1. Yay glad to hear you prefer my porridge version :-)

  4. Oh my word this sounds so tasty! I adore the rum n raisin combo, but haven't had it for years. I must hunt out rum essence and get making this asap!

    1. Enjoy :-)
      Rum & raisin reminds me of my childhood somehow - even though it's meant to be an 'adult' flavour lol