Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Day Breakfast Mushrooms

With this weekend being Mother's Day I started to think about breakfast in bed.....
I started to dread breakfast in bed.....
I HATE CRUMBS IN THE BED.
Thankfully my family know this! 

Back to thinking about breakfast then......

I LOVE mushrooms for breakfast...... but I feel sadden that it is generally considered that the best way to make breakfast mushrooms is to fry them in more butter than there is mushrooms.
Now as a mushroom for breakfast eater, let me assure you that to make them taste good it has nothing to do with the butter and more to do with the herbs and spices that are added.


Let me show you how to please mum's taste buds as well as her thighs ;-)


You'll need:
1 1/2 cups chopped button mushrooms
1 chopped spring onion
1 teaspoon each: minced garlic, paprika, sage, thyme 
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1 Tablespoon tomato paste



Add the mushrooms, onion and all herbs to a frying pan and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Don't stir. Mushrooms work out best when they aren't stirred! They release more of their own juices then.
You can add a few teaspoons of water if the mushrooms stick to the bottom of the pan too much.
When you can see that the mushrooms are nearly cooked, stir in the spinach and tomato paste.
Stir for 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted.

Serve on toast.
Make sure you're hubby sees this before Sunday morning!

Talking about men, I want to share with you all this awesome soon-to-be released book for men:
Preorder it now to get the added bonuses :-)
You can read more about the book on the vegans are cool website.



Do you have anything special planned for mothers day?






Submitted for Healthy Vegan Friday.
You can add your recipe at these blogs:
carrie on vegan 

12 comments:

  1. OMG YUM!!!!!!! I want that mixture on roasted eggplant slices :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I'm sure it would be very yummy on eggplant! I nearly put it on roasted sweet potato actually - but I couldn't quite deal with sweet potato for breakfast ;-)

      Delete
  2. What a great book! And while I am not big on savoury cooked breakfasts, I love the look of these as a lunch or light dinner :) I also laughed at your comment about crumbs in bed - I'd be exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad I'm not alone re the crumbs in the bed issue!!!
      I agree that this also works for lunch or dinner too :-)
      I can't wait to read the book either.

      Delete
  3. That looks nice for lunch, I can't manage a cooked savoury at breakfast so I stick to toast with butter and jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I think you won't be alone with not being a fan of cooked breakfast!

      Delete
  4. I love mushrooms with scrambled eggs--so I'm totally with you on mushrooms for breakfast! No real plans for the day other than spending it with my mom--and baking her a berry crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put mushrooms in my scrambled eggwhites all the time, but I would never think to top toast with them. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmmm its so good! Mushrooms in a toasted sandwich is also divine!

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday :D
    Your breakfast looks so yummy! I love mushrooms on toast, but usually I just gently fry them with a little soy sauce (no oil needed). So simple, yet so scrummy! We also add lots of mushrooms to our scrambled tofu on toast dinners. I've already had my dinner tonight but now you've got me craving mushrooms on toast!!! I need to stop reading food blogs in the evening. It's not good for the waistline ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh with soy sauce sounds delicious - I'll have to try that!
      I love scrambled tofu too.
      Hahahahaa too funny - i agree, same with pinterest, it just makes you want to eat everything...... xxx

      Delete