Thursday, May 2, 2013

Kids Lunchbox Club - Homemade Muesli Bars

Homemade Muesli Bars

Line up the kids lunchboxes cause they'll all want a piece of this.....

This is so easy to make - and very versatile - you can substitute many different flavours and varieties to make muesli bars options that are endless!

This is what I used: (for the batch pictured!)
1/2 cup soy or coconut flour
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup rye flakes
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy yogurt (I used blueberry flavour, any would work)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup soymilk
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vinegar

Pour the soy milk into a measuring jug and stir in the apple cider vinegar - this will curdle the milk and make it thick. 
In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre and add the yogurt, apple sauce, milk mixture and vanilla. Stir until well combined and all dry ingredients are coated with wet mixture.
This mixture will be very sticky.
Line a 25cm square baking pan with baking paper. Pour the batter into the pan and bake at 180C for 25 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing.

This makes 12 bars - depending on how wide you slice them.
To avoid arguments I recommend slicing them evenly ;-)

Variations:
* You can sub any muesli you like or just use oats. 
* I don't normally use coconut flour due to it's high fat content but had some on hand that needed to be used up - you can sub almond flour or other ground nuts,  dried plant-milk pulp or nut/seed milo.

12 comments:

  1. Yet again, I am a teeny bit jealous of your daughter ;) These look fantastic - far better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly do look better than anything you could buy - I can imagine your daughters friends being jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very tasty too! And they stay much more moist than store ones!

      Delete
  3. Omg these look like the cereal equivalent of rocky road. I want one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - that's a good comparison actually!

      Delete
  4. These remind me of those processed soft-coated granola bars - but natural & awesome. Yummy!! I'm going to have to pin this immediately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this kind of portable snack and I bet my daughter would want one in her lunchbox too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portable snacks are just so practical aren't they :-)

      Delete
  6. Yum! I love how moist these look... and the fact that they have no oil in them. Definitely adding these to my 'to try' list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy them!
      I was honestly surprised at how long they held their moisture for too :-)

      Delete