Thursday, July 10, 2014

Warm Bean Salad

Winter is well and truly upon us now, so warmer salads are appealing to me more than cold ones! To be honest I'm not one who enjoys plain boring salads, I like salads with lots of flavours and substance! 

The aroma while this is cooking is just divine...
And is there anything so beautiful as the colours of plant foods?

You'll need:
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can each red kidney beans, butter beans
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 green capsicum
1/2 small celery stalk
6 cherry tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
small handful each fresh basil leaves, fresh parsley
fat free Italian dressing
salad leaves of choice

Chop the onion (I did half in slices and half in little pieces just to be a bit different for a salad!). In a large frying pan saute the onion with the crushed garlic in a little bit of veggie stock. When the onions start to brown add the drained legumes, the corn, the chopped capsicum & celery. 
Fry for approx 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are lightly cooked. Quarter the tomatoes and add them to the fry pan. Sprinkle over the chopped fresh herbs and drizzle the Italian dressing over. Continue to cook for as long til the veggies are as soft as you desire. 
Serve over salad leaves. I used a combination of cos, iceberg & a bag of mixed leaves.



Question of the day:
Do you eat salad in winter, or only in the warmer months?

6 comments:

  1. I don't mind salads in winter but soup is way easier to get the goodness in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is very good for added veggies, I just prefer to eat green leafy's uncooked! :-)

      Delete
  2. Salads are right off the menu at our place now - but I can eat soup all year round - we are having lots of stews and soups. I do love the sound of the warm bean salad and imagine leftovers would make a great lunch - if there were any leftovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can definitely eat soup & stew all year too!

      Delete
  3. Funny how you described what a salad has to be like for you in almost the same way I did in my recipe post today. I'm right there with you in that a pile of leaves isn't my kind of salad. As a huge legume fiend yours sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay so pleased to hear you like the sound of this & to find another 'not just leaves' fan!!!

      Delete