Monday, January 13, 2014

PB Carrot Crackers


Meatless Monday has returned! :-) 
Today we're cooking with oats.

Peanut Butter Carrot Crackers
You'll need:
4 medium carrots
1 cup oats
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon each: nutmeg, cardamom, allspice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup raisins

Using a food processor, shred the carrots. Add the oats, flax, and spices. Blend til oats are broken down and not chunky pieces remain.
Add the peanut butter and water. Blend til a thick paste is formed. The mixture will be very sticky.


Add the raisins and blend for a few seconds until they are distributed evenly but not broken into pieces.
Use a spatula to spread the mixture onto lined dehydrator sheets. Number of sheets will depend on the size of your dehydrator, I used three sheets.

Dehydrate for 10-12 hours.
Slice with a pizza cutter! 




 Store in a cookie jar. Will keep for a week. They will get crispier the longer they are stored.

I am also submitting this recipe to I am Vegetarian - Hear me Raw.

Question of the day:
Do you own a dehydrator?
Do you use it for more than just fruit and vegetables?

14 comments:

  1. These sound awesome!! I don't have a dehydrator '- I wonder if this would work in the oven on low heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think these would work in a low temperature oven for a long time too. However, I think they would work too in a regular oven for a shorter amount of time, but they would just have a different texture, be more like a cookie than a cracker.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I really wish I had a dehydrator! Following on from Heather's comment I've gathered you can use an oven on low heat but having to leave them for so long can make timing tricky. It's a great recipe though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up my dehydrator really cheap from one of those 'deals' sites! I love having it even though I don't use it regularly its been worth it! :-) See above re oven cooking.

      Delete
  3. I posted on the wrong place. Yes, I have a dehydrator and need more things to use in it! So far, only make jerky and banana slices. This looks good and I am going to try it this week. Like healthier options and will see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries at all!
      I hope you enjoy the recipe and that it gives you another option for your dehydrator :-)

      Delete
  4. Hey Sandy !!! These look DELICIOUS !!! I will have to try them !!!! I see you are using that dehydrator now !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it wonderful !!!!!!! - Denise

    I was also wondering if you wanted to do a guest post on Pink-Vegan Blog ??? I'd LOVE to have you !!!! Just let me know what you think !!!! THANKS - Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have overcome my dehydrator fear!!!!
      No it wouldn't of been me, sorry. I always leave my name when I comment. Hope you can find who it was. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hey Sandy....glad to hear you have overcome your dehydrator fear !!! Oh....I must have not been clear with what I was saying..... I was wondering if you wanted to do a recipe post on Pink-Vegan....like a guest spot !!! I would have you on as a "guest" for a recipe !!! Let me know what you think.... THANKS - Denise

      Delete
    3. Oh sorry!!!! Yes I would totally LOVE to! Thank you :-)

      Delete
  5. What a great recipe! Would you be interested in sharing it at Raw Foods Thursdays? We'd love to have you!

    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2014/01/raw-foods-thursdays-12314/

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite - have just added it to the list :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad that you shared with us! I'm going to feature these at tomorrow's event. Please come back any time you have a raw creation to share!!

      Heather

      Delete
    3. Aw thank you so much! That's very kind!
      I look forward to getting creative with my dehydrator again and will be sure to share :-)

      Delete