Friday, January 10, 2014

Lentil Lasagne

I have always loved lasagne! And now that I'm vegan its no different!
This was what my daughter requested for her birthday meal - so it must be good!  


LENTIL LASAGNE

In a pot combine:
2 cups of green lentils
Add 4 cups water
Cover and cook til lentils are soft - approx 25mins.
Remove from heat and stir in:
1 Tablespoon Italian herbs
1 cup tomato paste

Cover 4 wholemeal lasagne sheets in boiling water to soften. Drain when ready to assemble lasagne.

Make the cheesey sauce by combining in a blender:
1 roasted red capsicum (I use a jarred one that is soaked in vinegar not oil) 
1 onion
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 cup soymilk
1 teaspoon cornflour
Blend til smooth and thick.

Assemble lasagne by placing half the lentil mixture on the bottom of a large baking dish and spreading til evenly distributed. 
Spread a thin layer of the cheesy sauce over the lentils.
Follow with two lasagne sheets.
Spread a thin layer of Italian Passata Cooking sauce over the lasagne sheets.
Add the remaining lentil mixture, topped by the remaining two lasagne sheets. 
Cover the lasagne sheets with the remaining cheesey sauce.
Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.

Slice and serve :-)

12 comments:

  1. looks delicious - I have always loved lasagna and love making it - your bright yellow sauce looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That sauce is a big hit in our home!

      Delete
  2. Oh YUM!! Must try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! And the recipe seems somehow a touch less involved than most lasagne recipes, which is a Very Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like to simplify! Not enough hours in the day to make recipes that are too involved! ;-)

      Delete
  4. I am not a huge lasagna fan but that is because of my dislike of cheese. So, this recipe could win me over with it's cheese alternative topping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know if you try it and it suits your taste! :-)

      Delete
  5. That would be a very satisfying meal. I have been meaning to ask for a while now - why do you add nutritional yeast to your meals. My son and I saw it in the health food shop and we didn't know what you do with it!? Does it have any taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,
      Nutritional yeast (also called savoury yeast) adds a cheesy flavour and is full of B vitamins. Really easy to use because it dissolves into fluid. And a little goes a long way :-)

      Delete
  6. Made this today. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying my recipes so much :-) Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete