Sunday, April 14, 2013

What happened this evening.....

I hope you've all had a wonderful weekend.
I have :-)

This evening we decided to take a walk along a local beach & get a meal.
We walked up and down the road for quite some time thinking about what we would have.
We sat down in a pizza place & perused to menu..... then decided we didn't feel like pizza. 

~So we got up and left.~

Then we went to a mexican restaurant. Excited by the thought of beans in a burrito we proceeded to order. We made our dietary preferences known..... only to discover that they fry their beans in butter and therefore nothing on their menu was vegan :-(

~So we got up and left.~

We went home then.
AND HAD THE BEST DINNER EVER!!!!!

I cannot believe how quickly we made up this mexican feast all from the pantry! 
It was so incredibly satisfying!

In a baking dish we piled corn chips & then topped them with a can of Coles Mexican Chilli Beans.
I then made a 'cheeze' sauce.
I poured into the blender 1 cup soymilk with 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and a tablespoon of cornflour. Blended til well combined then poured into a microwave safe jug & microwaved for 30 seconds. The sauce thickened. 
I poured the sauce over the corn chips and beans & baked for 15 mins.

Perfect vegan nachos:

We also made tortillas.
In a frying pan I combined a chopped onion, 1/2 chopped capsicum, 1 can corn, 1 can red kidney beans, 1/2 chopped green capsicum, 1 chopped zucchini. 
I added a packet of taco seasoning mix and put a lid on to let it all cook through.
I then stirred in a jar of salsa.


Perfect vegan wrap filling:
 We warmed up the tortillas and then added our filling along with lettuce, grated carrot & avocado. My husband put his one in the sandwich press - but I prefer my wraps soft.

 And together they made for the perfect home-mexican meal:

Question of the day:
What items do you regularly keep in your pantry that can be used as fall-back meals?

4 comments:

  1. This highlights so perfectly how food made at home can be quicker and tastier than food bought out! It looks like you did a brilliant job creating something on short notice - I love the look of the tortillas in particular. Like you, I try to keep these ingredients on hand for 'emergencies' and even though I'm mostly using dried legumes these days, I have a tin or two in the pantry for back up. I am sorry you couldn't find good vegan food out though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We very rarely run into trouble eating out!
      Good on you for using dried beans more regularly - I used to be in such a good habit of doing that but then I would cook one batch of beans and get sick of eating the same type all week hahaha!!!! Canned is far too convenient for me (that said I have a batch of black beans soaking right now hahaha).

      Delete
  2. So glad that your evening turned out so well in the end! I love how quickly you manage to whip up such tasty looking meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! It was worth the home meal in the end that's for sure ;-)

      Delete