Saturday, August 1, 2015

Neapolitan Ice-cream

Who remembers those big tubs of ice-cream that had a mixture of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavours in them? I assume they are still available. We always had them in our house when I was growing up. My favourite flavour was chocolate, and my brothers was strawberry. Although, occasionally we would have a scoop of all 3 flavours and mix it together to make a big swirl of flavoured ice-cream in our bowl!

Here's a way to combine chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavours into a healthy ice-cream swirl:
 NEAPOLITAN ICE-CREAM 


You'll need (per serving):


1 cup frozen strawberries, chopped into pieces prior to freezing
1 medjool date, pitted
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essense
1-2 Tablespoons motherless milk of choice 

Combine all ingredients in a mini food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
The amount of milk will vary depending on your blender, and how smooth you want it.

Deliciousness! 

This one was made with more milk and more cocoa.


Question of the day?
Did you have Neapolitan Ice-cream as a child? If so, what was your favourite flavour?

6 comments:

  1. I didin't understand neapolitan ice cream because I couldn't work out why anyone would want vanilla or strawberry - I am a bit more understanding of ice cream now - your ice cream sounds really interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they really did need to just make big tubs of the chocolate flavour!
      Thank-you

      Delete
  2. We had neopolitan ice cream occasionally but the chocolate always got eaten quickly and like Johanna the strawberry and vanilla were less popular - so my mother tended to skip the headaches and just get chocolate when we had an ice cream treat :-) This homemade version sounds more delicious now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever mum, solving the dessert dramas!!!! :-)
      Thank-you

      Delete
  3. Ingenius! I never liked neopolitan ice cream as a kid as I found the flavours too artificial but I know for sure I'd love your version :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a great way to enjoy ice-cream without the artificial flavours :-)

      Delete