Monday, May 12, 2014

Kale Attacked Minestrone Stew

The reason for the name of this stew:
My husband came home from work, walked into the kitchen to see what I was cooking and commented: "What happened to the dinner? Did it get attacked by kale or something?"
I chuckled!
Kale doesn't tend to wilt down quite as much as other greens in cooking. Though thankfully for the sake of my husband, it does a little.... so when you throw a whole bunch into your stew although it takes over at the start, by the time it's cooked down a little bit, it seems like a much more reasonable amount!!!!! lol
Then again, I think being attacked by the "super hero" power of kale isn't such a bad thing after all ;-)
And so I bring you....

KALE ATTACKED MINESTRONE STEW
You'll need:
1 large onion
1 large zucchini
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 can cannelliini beans (drained)
1 can tomatoes
1 bunch kale
3 stalks of both basil and parsley (fresh)
4 bay leaves
1 litre vegetable stock (I used home made)
1/2 cup soup pasta

Chop all the vegetables and herbs. In a large pot brown the onion using a bit of water to prevent from sticking. Add all ingredients to the pot and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft (and the kale has wilted down lol).

Most of the stock will be absorbed by the pasta - making it more the consistency of a 'stew' and not a 'soup'. If you prefer this more 'soup-like' just add more stock (or water).
Remove the bay leaves prior to serving.


 
I am linking this to Meatless Monday: Watercress.
I have to confess that I can't find watercress in our regular store and I didn't have the time to look for it in other places! Any greens can be substituted for the kale in this recipe.


10 comments:

  1. I want this for dinner! Great name :) I love me some kale! (and I wouldn't mind being attacked by some!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - glad you don't mind me attacked by kale either ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love kale and put it in many different dishes. I love it cooked in butter along with finely cut onions and finely sliced Brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan of brussel sprouts I have to say - though perhaps my love for kale could hide them ;-)

      Delete
  3. Love this :-) Kale can look so daunting when you first add it to a pot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So try! Glad it boils down - keeps my other family members happy then ;-)

      Delete
  4. Mmmm...this sounds fantastic!! I'm pinning this now - need to make this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale-attacked - that's awesome, haha. I'm surprised my dad didn't make a comment like that when I served my mum and him a vegan kale phyllo pastry on a visit months ago. Sadly, kale season is long over for us right now because your stew would have been perfect for work day lunches right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks for the chuckle!!!!! You could always substitute other green leafy's to make this work too :-)

      Delete