Monday, July 1, 2013

Meatless Monday - Flax seeds

Today's Meatless Monday food is flax seeds.

I'm a big flax seed fan. I eat them most mornings & regularly add them to cakes & cookies.
Today however I'm doing something different. Instead of just adding flax seeds into other ingredients in a way that they sometimes get lost, I made them the main ingredient!
I wasn't sure how these cookies would turn out but I must admit that I'm very pleased with how they worked out. They taste amazing!!!!

Flax seed & Coconut Cookies

You'll need:
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 large banana
2 Tablespoons brown rice syrup
2 Tablespoons soymilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Grind the flax seeds til very fine. (Note if using already ground flax seeds you'll need about a cup.) Stir the coconut into the ground flax seeds. Mash the banana well. Add to the flax/coconut mixture along with the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. The mixture will be slightly sticky and will hold together well.
Shape into small balls and flatten onto a lined baking sheet
Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 15 minutes until lightly golden brown.


Wonderfully chewy and lightly sweetened - what a great healthy treat!


 
Submitted for Healthy Vegan Friday.
You can add your recipe at these blogs:
carrie on vegan                    veggie nook                    greenthickies 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a new way of using these! I love the idea though - why hide a great ingredient away when it can be the star of the show? I'm not sure I can fully imagine the taste but I can definitely believe they'd be beautifully chewy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do a good job of replacing 'flour'! But yes, a much more chewy result! Tho I must admit i like chewy cookies much more than crunchy!

      Delete
  2. These look so delicious! I really want to get some coconut so I can make some : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look really yummy! I'm a big flaxseed fan too and I always sprinkle it on our breakfast cereals and pancakes for an omega 3 boost. I've never used it as a main ingredient though, so I'd love to see how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for another flaxseed fan :-) hope you like these!

      Delete
  4. Want to know a secret? I hate flax. I eat it because I know it's good for me but honestly, if I can sub chia I always will.

    With that in mind- I'm going to give these a go. You make them sound so yummy and coconut and banana are always delish so I'm up for it! I'll let you know how it goes ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe not surprised that we like different things ;-)
      I don't overly like Chia seeds! And yes i'm sure these would work with chia seeds though! :-) Def let me know if you give it a try xxx

      Delete