Monday, June 3, 2013

Meatless Monday - Eggplant

Welcome to another edition of Meatless Monday A-Z
 Today's food is Eggplant.
 I love eggplant. But I must admit that I'm not overly familiar with a variety of ways how to cook it. I find it can either have a great texture & be amazing or else it can be terribly undercooked & taste awful.
And I really like don't like it when eggplant is just completely soaked in oil & you can't really taste the eggplant itself.

So even though my eggplant post is a week late, its something I've cooked up myself that is easy to get the right texture for eggplant so you can actually taste it!

EGGPLANT & SWEET POTATO SIMPLE STACK
 
You'll need:
1 medium eggplant
1 medium sweet potato
1 teaspoon stock powder
1 cup passata cooking sauce
1 teaspoon Italian herb mix

Peel the sweet potato. Slice both the sweet potato and the egplant into 1.5cm thick slices.
Place the stock powder into a flat dish & add a cup of boiling water. Stir well until the powder is dissolved. Soak the eggplant in the stock for 2-3 minutes, turning once.
Place the soaked eggplant and sweet potato slices onto a lined baking tray & bake in a preheated 200C oven for 30 minutes.
Once cooked, alternate slices of eggplant & sweet potato onto plates.

Pour the passata into a microwave safe jug & place in microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir in the herbs.

Pour the tomato passata over the stacked vegetables.
Of course you can roast as many other varieties of vegetables as you wish.



Did you know?
Eggplant contains high amounts of potassium, folate and manganese. It also has a large range of other vitamins in little amounts.

Question of the day:
What's your favourite way to cook eggplant?

4 comments:

  1. I love eggplant too, but I find that when I cook it myself, I can't get the skin to soften. It just stays tough & chewy :( According to Google, there are different varieties, some having thicker skins than others. Maybe the ones available here are the thick skin variety. Lately I've been peeling the skin off which isn't a great thing to do as I believe most of the nutrients are in the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmm well that's interesting - I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles a bit with eggplant.
      I agree re nutrients being in the skin of most veggies :-)

      Delete
  2. For some reason I just don't like eggplant and therefore never cook with it. I do however like zucchini which is a bit like it! Your stacks look very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it took me a bit to get used to eggplant before I loved it! We all have our flavours we do and don't like!!!

      Delete