Friday, April 19, 2013

Chickpea Pie Stew

As you've probably worked out by now I like to be the 'easy queen'.
This is another quick and easy meal that is great for those evenings when you're walking in the door a little later than you might have liked, but still need to get dinner on the table.

This is a bit like a stew and a bit like a pie. That's why its called 'pie stew'.
The bottom half reminds me of a chickpea stew and by adding the sweet potato on the top it reminds me a bit of shepherds pie!
None the less, whatever it is, the simply flavour combination tastes amazing.


Mix together in a large baking dish:
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can drained chickpeas
  • 1 teaspoon cumin

Bake 200 for 15 minutes.
While the 'stew' part is baking, peel one large (or 2 small) sweet potatoes and boil til soft (your choice microwave or stove top).

Mash the sweet potatoes and spread them over the top of the chickpea mixture. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Return to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes.
Serve. Goes well with a side of steamed veggies or salad.

Submitted for Healthy Vegan Friday.
You can add your recipe at these blogs:
carrie on vegan                    veggie nook                    greenthickies  

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe how simple this dish is...and surely very delicious! It's like the healthy version of shepherd's pie. I love chickpeas and sweet potatoes, this is such a wonderful combination:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree that chickpeas and sweet potato is just marvellous together :-)

      Delete
  2. Yum, yum, yum. Simple, quick and easy is so my style too- I think it makes it taste better too :)
    Love the idea, I keep meaning to make a veggie shepherds pie but haven't got round to it! Got to try this one first, thanks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dish! I love how simple the ingredient list is but how well it turns into a pie-like meal :)

    ReplyDelete