Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Adzuki Bean Soup

I love aduzki beans.
I wonder why they aren't as popular in cans as many other types of beans???

Thankfully they aren't hard to cook.
My favourite way to have them is in my adzuki bean burgers.
They are also really yummy in soup.  

For this soup you'll need:
1 x 800g tin whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup uncooked adzuki beans
1 leek
1 large brown onion

I use my slow cooker for this soup. You could do it on a stove top if you wanted to also.
I put the adzuki beans in the slow cooker and pour boiling water over them & leave it to soak overnight.
In the morning, I drain & rinse the beans & then place them back into the slow cooker along with the tomatoes, & the chopped leek & onion. I add about a cup of water.
Lid on & let the slow cooker do its thing for the next 8 hours on low.
I find this amount of time also works well for actually cooking the beans so its handy not to have to cook them separately first.
If you can stir the soup every 2 hours it will help the tomatoes to break apart - or else just do it at the end :-) They will be so soft that the side of a soup spoon will gently break the tomatoes into pieces that you can then stir through the rest of the soup.
I love my slow cooker - it makes Tuesday evenings wonderful! :-)


Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of dried oregano - or fresh basil if you have some on hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment