Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Chocolate Okara Pie

For those of you who make your own motherless milk, it can often be quite a dilemma what to do with all the leftover pulp. It seems wasteful to throw it away, and yet it isn't always the easiest thing to find uses for, especially if you go through a lot of milk in your home.
Here's a great way to use up some of that pulp.
I have only tried this pie with okara (soy milk pulp) but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with other plant-based milk pulps.

Chocolate Okara Pie

Crust:
1 cup oat flour/bran
1/2 cup okara
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon baking powder

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until combined. Mixture will be a wet crumble. 
Press into a 20cm pie dish, making sure to press some of the mixture up onto the sides.
Bake for 12-15 minutes in a preheated 180C oven.


Pie filling:
1/2 cup okara
1 cup motherless milk of choice
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar (or other dry sweetener of choice)
1/4 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine all the pie filling ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
Pour mixture over the baked pie crust.
Cook at 160C for 1 hour. Remove from oven.
The mixture will be slightly wobbly.
Allow to cool prior to slicing.
The mixture will thicken upon cooling.

Serve with frozen berries of choice.



Question of the day:
Do you make your own plant-based milk? If so, what do you do with the pulp?

12 comments:

  1. Creative use for okara! How is the texture of the filling? Is it thick like hummus or softer like a pudding? I almost always use my leftover okara in seitan, but I can't use enough so some always ends up in the compost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm hearing your issues with having too much okara leftover so I've been trying to find new ways to use it!
      The filling definitely has a grainy texture like hummus but not thick, it's soft like a pudding.

      Delete
  2. Looks amazingly delicious - I don't make my own milk but it is something I always mean to try - though I really want to try tofu for it and always wonder where the okara would go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I have solved your okara problem!
      I love home-made tofu! :-)

      Delete
  3. That pie looks delicious. I made a chocolate peanut butter truffle pie that was amazing. No one guessed that the main ingredient was tofu.

    Hmm, let's see... I have made soy milk and almond milk. I'd love to try to make a cashew milk. Then again, that might not be such a good idea. I might gorge myself on that since I love cashews. I'm joking of course... everything in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yes cashews are very easy to overeat on!
      I love it when people enjoy food that they would otherwise not want to even try if they knew what was in it! :-)

      Delete
  4. OMG! Look at that! THAT is AMAZING! Wow!!!! You really outdid yourself this time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)
      It is super delicious - my family request it whenever milk is made in our home, it's their number one choice for using the leftover pulp lol

      Delete
  5. What a delicious way to use up soy milk pulp (I never knew it was called okara). I bought a nut bag ages ago and it's still in its unopened packet. I will get round to making my own one day and, after tasting freshly made milk, I'm sure they'll be no turning back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learn something new everyday :-)
      I think that homemade milk is so different from store bought milk - it definitely takes some getting used to, and it doesn't always work in quite the same ways as it's not as thick. I definitely can't stomach it in warm drinks!

      Delete
  6. Hello! thanks for this recipe, looks delicious!!!
    I've got a doubt, instead of cornflour may I use corn starch or rice flour???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes corn starch will work. Not sure about rice flour, it may end up too thick, I haven't actually tried.

      Delete