Friday, November 14, 2014

Broccoli Bolognese

The inspiration for this recipe came when out for dinner in an Italian restaurant one time my husband was eating his veggie spaghetti and I looked over and couldn't get over how much the head of the broccoli sitting there looked like ground mince! I wondered if I could turn broccoli into bolognese!
I am pleased to say that yes, indeed it really does work out, and it strangely does look similar to mince bolognese! Add some familiar flavours and you'll definitely have a very satisfying bolognese even without mince! We love this meal & have it frequently - especially when broccoli is $1.99/kg!




BROCCOLI BOLOGNESE
Serves 6
You'll need:
2 medium onions
4 garlic cloves
1 kg broccoli
1 teaspoon "beef" style stock powder (I use Massel)
1 Tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
700g jar tomato passata
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves

Optional to serve:
Nutritional yeast
basil leaves

Chop the onion and crush the garlic.
Dry fry together on a heated frying pan. Sprinkle over the stock powder. Cook until onion is translucent. 
Chop the broccoli as finely as possible, creating little crumbs with the broccoli head. You can add the stems if you would like to, or omit them.
Add the broccoli to the pan along with 1(ish) cup of water and cook until the broccoli is tender and most of the water is absorbed.
Stir through the passata and herbs. Tear the basil leaves and add them too. 
Bring the heat down to low and continue to cook - stirring frequently until the passata is warmed through.
Serve over pasta or potatoes, and with nutritional yeast and extra basil leaves if desired. 




Submitted for Healthy Vegan Fridays.

Add your recipe at:
Rock My Vegan Socks 
Vegan Dollhouse

16 comments:

  1. wow that photo does look like mince - I quite like doing finely chopped cauliflower and walnuts faux mince meat but haven't tried broccoli - is now on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think it looked like mince too because I wondered if it had just been way too long since I'd actually seen mince meat hahahaa ;-) Let me know if you do try it!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I love this concept, and as I love broccoli too, it sounds like a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari!
      Pleased to hear of another broccoli fan!

      Delete
  3. Wow I love this idea! It looks so fresh and delicious. The more broccoli the better, I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That certainly looks like mince to me, I might have to try this with my son :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he enjoys it!
      Glad I'm not the only one who could see the resemblance!

      Delete
  5. What a clever idea, Sandy. I'm definitely going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know if you give it a try and how you find it :-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Great news - let me know how you find it :-)

      Delete
  7. this looks so delish sandy! we love broccoli in this household so it looks like a goer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao Sandy!

    I'm a big pasta fan and love what you've done with this. Since I just stocked up on broccoli yesterday, I may have to give it a go!

    Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lani!
      Thanks so much for sharing my recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does :-) xxx

      Delete