Monday, August 18, 2014

Slow-cooked Mexican Stew

Monday nights are slow-cooker night in our home.
I must admit that for the first few years of owning a slow cooker I used it for nothing other than soup.
I am discovering that there is so much more than just soup that can be done in the slow cooker. I regularly make dried beans and love that on the high function it takes only 2-3 hours to cook them from scratch, even without pre-soaking if I haven't had the chance to do that.

Here's a way I make a complete meal that isn't soup:

SLOW-COOKED MEXICAN STEW

You'll need:
1 cup brown rice
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 onion
1 green capsicum
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 can tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon taco spice mix of choice

Chop all the vegetables and drain the beans.
Add all ingredients to slow cooker. 
If you have the option, saute the onion & garlic first. If not, don't worry because it will still work out and be delicious.
Cook on slow for 6-8 hours.

Serve.

The rice will fluff up to be lovely & thick. It will absorb all the liquid so that this isn't the consistency of a soup.


4 comments:

  1. I have never used or even seen a slow cooker, but these ingredients are ones I use often :) I love that you have a dedicated slow cooker night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this meal and that you don't have to presoak the beans - even better that you can just leave it and get on with other stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree that the convenience of having a meal ready in the evening is great - esp on evenings when late home, sure helps to not have to stand over the stove for half an hour to have dinner ready!

      Delete