Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vegan Mofo - Skinny Bitch

I had to start with these books because I myself am a Skinny Bitch convert!

For those of you who are offended by the name, they clearly explain that it was for attention seeking purposes that it was called that - and well, get my attention it sure did!
It was nearly 7 years ago that I came across the book Skinny Bitch. I may still be waiting for the "skinny" part and I don't want to be a "bitch", but it definitely changed my life!




It is an absolute crackup to read and yet it will have you go from laughing to balling your eyes out with each turn of a page.
I couldn't put this book down!

Thankfully along came some cookbooks shortly after. 
My favourites are Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook and also Skinny Bitch Bakery.



I believe that all good cookbooks need to start with a section that isn't recipes but is instead a 'guide' to what their cookbook is for.  Kim Barnouin does that part perfectly! 
I LOVED reading her sections on "A Greener Diet" and "Secrets to Being a Skinny Bitch" as much as I have enjoyed looking at the marvellous pictures, oh wait, and tasting the delicious recipes as well!!!
Above is pictured "Southwestern Griddle Cakes".
Oh my!!! What a delicious alternative to regular pancakes. They went down really well in our home, and I had high hopes of the spares ending up in my daughters lunchbox - but nope, there wasn't any left!
The next breakfast recipe that I'm hoping to try is "Breakfast Bake". I have always wanted to try some different potato recipes for breakfast so this is next on my list.

Below is "Curried Chickpea Cakes". These are honestly some of the most delicious patties that I've ever tried. So full of flavour and yet so quick & easy to make.
 

The book also includes sections for soups (that are far more exciting than your plain vegetable soup), salads (that are sure to please better than a bowl of lettuce), the most incredibly sounding sauces & dressing (got several of them on my to-try list now!), sides (that won't add to the size of your own 'side' ;-) ), an amazing list of dinners, and ending with desserts & drinks (always the best part right???).
Does the sound of "Blueberry Streusel Cake", or "Miso Crunch Salad", or "Spicy Mango Chutney", or how about "Vegetable Tempura with Daikon Radish Soy Dip" tempt you at all???? Then get your hands on this amazing book! You won't regret it!! 




I was delighted when my husband included Skinny Bitch Bakery in my Christmas gift box :-) 
I had not known he had gotten it for me so it was a wonderful surprise. 
Remember how I said I love cookbooks for looking at the pictures??? Well Skinny Bitch Bakery is one of those books that will have your mouth watering! 
This book is filled with tempting recipes like "Lime Pot de Creme",  "Spiced Baked Potato Samosas" and an amazing cookie list, not to mention teaching you how to make your own pastries. 
I found the helpful baking hints at the front of the book fantastic.
Feeling so much more confident I got straight to baking & made this "Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake".

It was seriously just ~A-MAZ-ING~.
I took it to work for my fellow work mates to enjoy & they all commented on how delicious it was too. I did sub the recommended earth balance for applesauce and it still worked out so delicious, so it's also handy to know that when I'm making lower fat alternatives the recipes still work out & still taste delicious.


I can't leave my post about Skinny Bitch without mentioning their "Skinny Bitch Fitness" workout DVD's. I'm quite a fan of home exercise DVD's. I love the privacy and convenience of working out at home. These DVD's are sooooooooo much fun, the girls make sure you laugh so much that you forget you are working out! 
If you're looking for something new to add to your fitness regime then I can't recommend these highly enough! 




You can view all things Skinny Bitch from this website - http://www.skinnybitch.net/


If I've tempted you, then you can purchase the books and DVD's shown above from the links provided.


10 comments:

  1. I love your theme for the month, and am already appreciating your reviews :) I was in the category of people put off by these book titles, but perhaps I need to put my stereotypes aside and check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe yes put it aside! They are a great read :-)

      Delete
  2. the name doesn't do it for me but I think I have browsed the books in the shops and been quite interested so it is good to hear how much you love them. I too love a cookbook that has some interesting information as well as good recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the 'name' has gained some popularity with people it otherwise wouldn't have if it was labelled as a vego book!

      Delete
  3. I've never read the books, though I always kept meaning to as the friend who influenced me to go vegan changed overnight herself after reading Skinny Bitch (for me it was reading The China Study). I didn't realise there were so many SB titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I went cold-tofurkey too, as the saying goes! Have heard of many other converts for both SB and The China Study. Glad to hear the China Study was so powerful for you! I have a China Study review scheduled - you may enjoy that one :-)

      Delete
  4. My library has them so I will have a look. Sounds intriguing

    But I do have a question, have you seen or books (or blogs) that focus on French vegan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have one French vegan cookbook - I will send you the link :-)

      Delete
  5. Your Orange Poppy Seed Bundt Cake looks spectacular! Definitely going to add SB Bakery to my wish list for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will totally love it!
      I hope it arrives in your sack ;-)

      Delete