Monday, April 14, 2014

Walnut Blondies

Brownies - turned blonde.... and healthy ;-)

You'll need:
2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup walnuts

1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 Tablespoons boiling water
1 banana
1 cup apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
100g dairy free white chocolate (I used Sweet William)
1/4 cup boiling water



Smash the walnuts into crumbly pieces. I do this by putting them in a zip-lock bag & hitting with a 'meat' mallet. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined and walnuts are evenly distributed.


 
Prepare the flax seeds - combine them with the water and whisk well. Leave aside for 5 minutes until thickened.
Mash the banana.
Melt the chocolate. I do this in a microwave on 50% power, checking every minute and stirring til nearly melted. The residual heat will do the rest. I find it best not to wait until it's completely melted or some parts tend to be hard and overdone.

Pour all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until folded through.
Pour mixture into a lined 18cm square baking tray and spread until evenly distributed.
Place in a preheated 180C oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Cool before slicing.



School Tip:
For nut-free schools make this with sunflower seeds instead.  


Submitted to Meatless Monday A-Z:
Unbleached Flour

10 comments:

  1. sounds very yummy and looks delish - and much healthier than the easter treats we have been baking today :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - everyone's allowed a treat every now and then ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of the brand of dairy-free chocolate, but now I'm going to be on the hunt for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may only be available in Australia.... I'm not 100% sure sorry.

      Delete
  3. These look delicious! I have never seen dairy free white chocolate (I usually use coconut butter or different variations of things in place of) I will have to check it out and try these bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that coconut butter would work too :-)

      Delete
  4. Oooh how tasty. I still haven't made blondies but I'm pretty sure I'd love them. I've also never tried that brand of white choc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I quite enjoy blondies - they somehow seem much lighter than brownies :-)

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm not a baker but I'm tempted to try these! They sound terrific! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super easy to make so worth a try :-) You can't go too far wrong!

      Delete